Friday, June 8, 2007

pilates video review

Day 2 of the challenge. I attempted 6 separate teasers (3 using my ball, but I was actually able to hold it for more than 4 seconds), thanks to the pilates video stylings of "Power Pilates: Connect to your Body's Core - Intermediate Workout." I can't complain, I feel good and sore in that "my deep abs are smiling" kind of way. Or maybe that's just the 3 glasses of wine I had with dinner.

Anyway, this seems like a good opportunity to introduce a new feature to TeaserMe: the pilates DVD review.

First, the criteria for judging:

- The overall score will - of course - be calculated on a scale of 1 to "the hundreds," with 100 being the peak of pilates perfection
- The overall structure of the class will be taken into account in terms of whether it's a single class or made up of separate modules that can be mixed and matched (pros and cons to both)
- Backdrop, look and feel of the studio and the on-screen class participants will be noted. Points will be deducted for videos that seem like they were shot on a set between takes of "Debbie Does Pompeii" because they feature lots of bed like mats, columns and candles.
-Pace
- Use, content and quality of verbal cues
- Overall tone of the instructor (effective? annoying? menacing?)

Now on to the first workout:

Overall, I liked that this DVD has several sections that can be done according to time available. I did the 45 minute combo and that was perfect given the amount of time I had -- I feel like I got a good work out, and also know that if I had 15, 30, or a full 60 minutes I could do workouts to fit that. Normally I hate when DVDs waste 10 minutes of the total on learning about neutral spine, how to breathe, etc. This one not only didn't have that, but it actually jumped right in with the 100s. I prefer to get to that about 1/4 to half way through my workout. That said, if I had done my normal warm up first, I would have been all set.

Anyway, the 45 minutes started with a good 20 minutes of mat work with all the standards from roll ups and swan to legwork and swimming. The fives are interspersed nicely. I wasn't crazy about the neck pull demo as it was basically just a roll down without that initial upper backbend that feels so good but is so hard to get timingwise without braining yourself. Or maybe that's just me.

After the mat work, I was guided to use my magic circle, a Theraband (which I substituted with a combination of my circle and a yoga strap since I somehow don't have a band), and a ball. Yippee! All the toys were well-used!

My main complaint is the pace. Yes, this is intermediate, but that doesn't mean it's pilates on crack. Maybe I just prefer to focus on form rather than speed, or maybe if I was truly an intermediate my form would be so perfect that I could zip through each exercise. But part of the joy of pilates is the focus and deliberateness of each move as it is timed with breathing. The pace of this class was causing me to hyperventilate.

While the cues were good -- especially for focusing on your abs (yes, I know, but it never hurts to have a reminder) I could have used other cues as well in terms of when to be in neutral or not. Again, I do know, but sometimes it helps to hear it.

The backdrop: Yes. It looked like the set from a douche commercial. Do flowing white curtains really help?

And finally, the instructor. She's blonde, she's perky. And she's sometimes unintentionally hilarious: reminder during double leg kick, to replace our face cheek on the floor. Thanks for the clarification.

Overall score: 82

No comments: