Saturday, January 5, 2008

crouching tiger, winking skull

One of my favorite aspects of being a pilates student is that I get to glean interesting tidbits of anatomical information from my teachers. In some cases, their level of expertise is only somewhat better than my own which is somewhere between being able to sing "the foot bone connected to the ankle bone" song and quoting the learned Dr. Nick, a graduate of the Mayo Clinic Correspondence School. But a number of my teachers are former dancers, physical therapists in training, or otherwise anatomy wonks who share their knowledge in the form of detailed cues that help students achieve better form.

A great resource for learning on human anatomy can be found at at WinkingSkull.com where you can see detailed drawings of muscle structures, and even quiz yourself on the various parts if you're into that sort of thing. There's a fine line between anatomy geeks and ninjas.

No comments: